Saturday, August 30, 2008

How many platforms for a game?

Obviously there is not a single answer, the number grows month after month.
But let's speak about families of platforms: obviously there is the biggest one, j2me, with dozen of implementations and an unresolved huge fragmentation, Brew follows, the younger is IPhone and the newest one is Android, backed up by the giant Google. (edit: I have not mentioned neither Symbian or NGage platforms... a Freudian slip?)
Is that all? (... I should say...) So a poor developer has to develop for 4 (edit: 6) different plarforms, with 3 different programming languages (and I'm not condidering pure j2me as another language), Java (God bless you), C++ and Objective C... well known in the MAC world but a little outdated in my opinion. Hundreds of APIs and environments... it's a bad life the mobile developer life....

No comments: